Sunday 23 March 2014

Ten Minutes

                                                                                           Tower of London viewed from the River Thames.jpg



So cold, so cold.
My hands are so cold, and I cannot feel my feet.
My fingers and toes are numb
And I shiver, yet must succumb
To those men, those harbingers of my final heartbeat.
Spring sunshine never shone so sweet
Through that narrow gap in the wall.
May.  Spring.  I wish I may fly away from it all
And never return to this moment.

They are coming, I see them walk with purpose
Along the bright, green length of polite and courteous
Grass that will soon stain bright and red
With my innocent blood. Not guilty, not guilty.
My insistent pleas fall upon ears that will never listen.
I am caught in their treacherous web.
Like a moth, I flew too close to the flame and my wings
Are starting to burn.

I allow myself to be prepared
In sombre shift and gown. I wonder that
They allow me to be spared
The axe.
The patrician sword awaits my slim neck
And my mind cannot accept any of it.
Why bother? Why comb my dark and whorish hair?
For who will even care
When my white face gazes up in disbelief at the severed neck
Which lies bleeding on the straw.
Is it mine?
Today I will die, according to the law
Of this monster I once loved.

And still love; will always love
For the next ten minutes, which is all that remains
Until my spirit will fly like a dove
To God, if He exists.
Ten minutes.
My life is ticking away, I start to pray
For forgiveness, absolution  -  for retribution
Against this miscarriage of justice.

My ladies fuss about me, weeping softly
And I wonder at the fact that tonight                              
They will still be here, in the gently fading light
Of England’s purple dusk, when I am gone,
Like a reluctant child sent to bed, yet the party continues....
My sun sets already behind the lofty
Columns of men’s ambition.
How can I feel contrition?

The small life in my cell continues quietly,
The spider crawls silently, dispassionately
And a fly flits to and fro, oblivious
Of my complete and utter terror.
I smell the damp, the denial of spring-like warmth
As the knowledge of the horror
Of my last few minutes seeps slowly
Into my desperate consciousness.

Are You Commemorating the Execution of Anne Boleyn?

I must wear a coif. My neck must lie exposed
To the swift and shining sword
As it flies humming through the air
And cuts cleanly like a butcher’s knife.
Severing my life.
Will I detect the metallic scent of blood
As it flows in a rushing, gushing flood
Before my fading, once-bright eyes?


My prison door opens.
I am ready.
I must keep my appointment with
Monsiuer Rombaud and his shining sword.
Farewell, my Lord, though you left me without a word.


Anne Boleyn
Anneboleyn2.jpg


5 comments:

  1. Wonderful, you could feel Anne Boleyn's terror and hopelessness. Imagine having to face that in our lives. Loved the last line.
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliantly written cuz x
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent poem - how she must have felt really comes across in those lines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Chris! Hope to see you on the 2nd APRIL!

    ReplyDelete